[Simh] Unix SYS III on SIMH

Andru Luvisi luvisi at gmail.com
Thu May 21 13:23:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com> wrote:
> Jason Stevens wrote:
[snip]
>>sub end_file {
>> print "\x00\x00\x00\x00";
>>}
>
> I thought there was a different marker for EOM; you might try that.  The
> program looks correct, as to do the positions of the tape marks.

[snip]

By Golly, you're right!  I just checked the simh docs and EOM is
"\xff\xff\xff\xff".  I wrote that script while I was trying to get
2.11BSD going on simh with networking.  I don't know if the file
format changed since then, or if I just misread the docs or what, but
it worked for getting 2.11BSD installed.  It's possible that I just
never had any problems because I never tried to read past the last
file.

It's not clear in the simh docs whether there's supposed to be an EOF
before the EOM or not, but you could try it both ways and see if
either works.

Andru