[Simh] Unix SYS III on SIMH

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Wed May 20 20:34:47 EDT 2009

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed UNIX SYSIII on the
780 emulator?

I've been using the 32v install notes, thinking it would be 'similar'
enough to at least boostrap the tape....

So using the config from http://zazie.tom-yam.or.jp/starunix/

-----config-----
set rq dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set hk dis
set rq dis
set rqb dis
set rqc dis
set rqd dis
set ry dis
set ts dis
set tq dis
set dz lines=8
set rp0 rp06
at rp0 rp06.disk
set tu0 te16
att tu0 tape1.tap
D 30000 20009FDE
D 30004 D0512001
D 30008 3204A101
D 3000C C113C08F
D 30010 A1D40424
D 30014 008FD00C
D 30018 C1800000
D 3001C 8F320800
D 30020 10A1FE00
D 30024 00C139D0
D 30028 04c1d004
D 3002C 07e15004
D 30030 0000f750
go 30000
go 0
--------end config--------

The tape I've peiced together with the bits from Al Kossow's dat files
from the TUHS thing...

The relevant part in the mkdistap.pl is this:

----making the tape ------
add_file("tape1_set1_file0.dat", 512);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file1.dat", 5120);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file2.dat", 5120);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file3.dat", 5120);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file4.dat", 5120);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file5.dat", 5120);
end_file();
add_file("tape1_set1_file6.dat", 5120);
end_file();
end_file();
------------

Well it "seems about right" from the output I get below...

% ./vax780  tboot.init

VAX780 simulator V3.8-1

HALT instruction, PC: 00030033 (HALT)
UNIX tape boot loader

UNIX -- Initial Load: Tape-to-Disk

The type of disk drive on which the Root file system will reside,
as well as the type of tape drive that will be used for Tape 1
must be specified below.

Answer the questions with a 'y' or 'n' followed by
a carriage return or line feed.
There is no type-ahead -- wait for the question to complete.
The character '@' will kill the entire line
while the character '#' will erase the last character typed.

RP06 at NEXUS 8?: y
Drive number (0-7)?: 0
Disk drive 0 selected.

Mount a formatted pack on drive 0.
Ready?: y

TE16 at NEXUS 9?: y
Drive number (0-7)?: 0
Tape drive 0 selected.

The tape on drive 0 will be read from the current position
at 800bpi, 5120 characters (10 blocks) per record,
and written onto the pack on drive 0 starting at block 0.

Ready?: y
Size of filesystem to be copied is 726896 blocks.
What is the pack volume label? (e.g. p0001):
The pack will be labeled p0001.
Hard tape error -- abort
read = 0 in block 7000
UNIX tape boot loader

UNIX -- Initial Load: Tape-to-Disk

The type of disk drive on which the Root file system will reside,
as well as the type of tape drive that will be used for Tape 1
must be specified below.

Answer the questions with a 'y' or 'n' followed by
a carriage return or line feed.
There is no type-ahead -- wait for the question to complete.
The character '@' will kill the entire line
while the character '#' will erase the last character typed.

RP06 at NEXUS 8?:
Simulation stopped, PC: 0000290E (RET)
sim> q
Goodbye

Anyways any pointers here would be nice........

Jason