[Simh] Deathrow OpenVMS SIMH Node..

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 9 23:37:34 EDT 2009

Hello!
Jeremy, what you are relating happens to be exactly what I was told by a
group of individuals at an event for the local user's group, (NYMLUG) at the
HP offices when the first successful boot of VMS for Integrity was
successful and HP was basically inviting the users groups to see the thing
in operation.

I myself was pleasantly pleased with regards to how easy that system was to
use. I've met an Alpha before, several times in fact. Two or three, perhaps
six at various UNIXEXPO events, and of course when DEC first announced the
system. Oh and at Linux WORLD as it happens. For that one Compaq was
demonstrating Linux on Alpha, an individual was trying to get his iPAQ also
running Linux to talk to the Alpha, both were ignoring him.

That same show it was my distribution showing an unofficial port to Alpha.

Then several times at events HP threw to demonstrate different workstations
running VMS releases for that family at their NY offices.

I brought the subject of having a VAX be brought into the cluster they were
talking about, and the response was, "It would work, but the Alphas and the
Integrity units would complain.". But I suspect they were trying to cover up
an unconventional suggestion with humor.

I believe it's possible for us to cluster say a crowd of instances of SIMH
posing as a VAX running VMS 7.3 possibly on a fast enough system, but I'm
not prepared to try it.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net