[Simh] Repaired readline hack and Makefile

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Thu Mar 12 11:46:51 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

there was a *major* bug in my readline hack:

libreadline, libncurses, and SIMH where mixing their symbols badly.
Thanks to ncurses, where you find global symbols like "PC" or "BC".
It gets ugly when your application is linked against such a library.

I worked around that issue by explicitely opening the shared objects by
means of dlopen(). That seems to work. I open libreadline which then
pulls in libhistory automatically.

The dlopen thing is a bit Linux depending :-(
If anyone wishes to help me to make it fit other systems, please get in
touch with me.

And please try out the new package. I have fixed some small things as
well (ever seen the "Found:..." message?).

Here's the new file (look in the directory as new ones may show up there):
http://hachti.de/simh/3.8-1/readline-hack_3.8-1_090312-2.zip

Best wishes,

Philipp :-)