[Simh] Proposal for a new make system

Lars Hamren hamren at sdu.se
Tue Mar 10 18:21:39 EDT 2009

Did anyone who responded actually look at my system?

There seems to be an assumptions that recursive makefiles
incure a large overhead. Here are my figures on a modern machine

        original makefile, make -j1: 52 sec
        new makefils,      make -j1: 53 sec
        original makefile, make -j8: not possible
        new makefils,      make -j8: 17 sec

The extra second, from 52 to 53, is more likely related
to invoking gcc many more times.

The fact that in 1997 hardware recursive make may have been
a problem om Really Large Projects seems less than relevant
for a small project like SIMH in 2009.

/Lars