[Simh] Proposal for a new make system

Lars Hamren hamren at sdu.se
Tue Mar 10 16:24:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have been hacking away on new makefiles, to possible replace
the current makefile. They is recursive, but it does not use
configure.

    http://www.sdu.se/computer-automation-museum/simh/build/

It has been tested on Linux, should work on any UNIX derivative,
and has preliminary support for Windows with gcc, but this support
has not yet been tested.

There are ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES to any current files, so it
should be easy to test. From the README file:

          $ cd /path/to/simh-3.8-1
          $ unzip build--/path/to/simh-3.8-1-***.zip
          $ cd build
          ... edit the definition of TOP in Makefile.common ...
          $ make install

You can use the existing makefile and my proposal in parallel.
Everything in my proposal is confined to the directory build.

Read the README file for more info, and please let me know what
you think.

One last comment. There are in places more levels of directories
than may initially seem called for, but some of the features, like
parallel builds, require these extra levels.

Kind regards
/Lars
Lars Hamrén              Tel...: +46( 46)189090
Svensk Datorutveckling   Mobile: +46(705)189090
Vadmöllan 211            e-mail: hamren at sdu.se
S-225 94 Lund            WWW...: www.sdu.se
Sweden