[Simh] Deathrow OpenVMS SIMH Node.. Hosted by OpenVMS?

Hittner, David T (IT) david.hittner at ngc.com
Tue Mar 10 14:13:06 EDT 2009

Bill,

The reason you don't see any networking under OpenVMS Alpha is likely
because you didn't install the VMS PCAP Execlet. I didn't see any
reference to you doing so in the message below.

Regarding running SIMH VAX on OpenVMS Alpha: that would be a gross waste
of the Alpha unless it had absolutely nothing else to do. The
performance of SIMH on a recent PC will decimate SIMH performance on
OpenVMS Alpha. Same for any Itegrity machines that you or I can afford.
:-)

All Alphas were excellent then, but the lower-end ones are somewhat slow
now compared to high-end PCs. Higher-end Alpha/Integrity machines might
perform better, but still - SIMH really chews up single-stream CPU
cycles, and a PC is much cheaper.

Dave