[Simh] SIMH with EXPECT or EMPTY with Windows compiled version or under cygwin and compilation issues

Mark Pizzolato mark at infocomm.com
Thu Jun 4 17:46:10 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 6/4/09, SPC <spedraja at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Bad luck. SIMH returns two messages: "Fatal terminal
> initialization error" and "Console terminal setup
> error"
>
> * Check EXPECT with FTP. Work without problem.
> * Try other utility for automation, EMPTY. Same problem.
> * I review source code. Located the section which raise the
> error (main -> tti_init -> sys$assign)
> * But I can't locate this last function (by now)

sys$assign is in code specific to the VMS port.  You are not looking in the right place.

> The probe was until now with the precompiled version for
> Windows. Change of guard.
>
> * Trying to compile the PDP11 source code under CYGWIN, it
> crash in linking phase for cause of "cannot find
> -lrt"

On Windows, Simh has been known to compile with MinGW using the provided makefile.  It can be compiled with Microsoft Visual C++ Express.  However, the distribution doesn't contain VC++ project files, so you have to construct them yourself.

You "might" get it to compile and work compiling with Cygwin, but the makefile wasn't designed for that target, so you'll have to go digging here as well.  I'd stick with MinGW or Visual C++ Express.

Good Luck.

- Mark Pizzolato