[Simh] The Ultimate SIMH VAX Networking Challenge!

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Sun Jul 12 14:46:55 EDT 2009

> My end goal is to have a single host system, with a single physical
> Ethernet, hosting two (or more!) SIMH VAX instances. Each SIMH VAX
> should be able to communicate with all the others, and with the host,
> and all of them should be reachable from the public Internet.

I don't know whether this would be cheating in your "challenge", but one
way to do this would be to run all this under a hypervisor like VMware ESXi.

With that, you could set up multiple virtualized hosts if you want, each
of which could have multiple virtual network adapters. This gets around
the traditional problem of the host not being able to talk to the guest
over the same network adapter. With ESXi you can control just how these
virtual network adapters are bridged together.

I have something like this set up myself, although I have it such that
the two virtual network adapters are on different VLANs so that the
hosts are on my private LAN, while the VMS or TOPS-20 guest is running
on a semi-DMZ LAN.

--Marc