[Simh] 750, 730

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Thu Jan 1 18:47:52 EST 2009

Bob Supnik wrote:
>What he said. ;)
>
>I did the 780 to get coverage of software written before MicroVAX.
>Unless you have a software package that's unique to a different model, I
>don't see a compelling reason to do another VAX model.

That's exactly the case.  One goal is to get a version of netbsd booting
on a real 11/730.  Because of the limited memory and bus differences it
would be helpful to do testing with simh first.

The code paths in 4.3bsd and netbsd for the 780, 750 and 730 are
slightly different, so being able to have a 730 specific emulator is
helpful.  Event the boot loaders are sensative to 780, 750 & 730 models.

Some of the early *nix's did boot on 730's but then things stopped
working.  simh would be a helpful tool to diagnose why.

(I don't disagree with anything that was said, but hopefully this
explains why on earth you'd want a simh which acted more like a 730)

-brad