[Simh] SIMH 3.8-1 IDLE in VMS, interesting CPU usage

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Tue Feb 17 14:47:55 EST 2009

I'm setting up an ESXi system into which I'm moving my Solaris server,
and now setting up some ubuntu JeOS virtual systems to host some
trailing-edge hardware emulations. One nice thing is that I can dedicate
part of a CPU to the VAX emulator and prioritize it lower, so it can
spin its wheels appropriately, leaving the overall server available for
other tasks as needed.

As a test, I turned on IDLE, and I got this very interesting graph:
http://www.bluevine.net/~marc/CPUidle.jpg

When IDLE is disabled, the CPU usage is a straight line, as it should
be. I find it quite interesting that with IDLE, it slowly uses more CPU
until it peaks out at 100% of its allotment, then it drops back down to
just about 15% and starts climbing again.

Between the two, I prefer the consistency of the straight line, so I'll
probably disable IDLE again. I just thought this was interesting enough
to share.

--Marc