[Simh] new binaries for 3.8-0

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Feb 4 08:34:44 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've added some binaries for the current release for a few platforms.
>
> >From the sourceforge download page:
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154308&package_id=244756

> Additionally, I've added Win32s capable binaries, and some MS-DOS
> binaries for people that were trying to get a 'bare metal' type feel
> to SIMH.  The advantage of the Win32s stuff is that you can get remote
> console support via TCP/IP.  However networking is not working yet as
> I'm fighting the packetdriver stuff... I'm not sure exactly how to
> talk to NDIS2 stuff on Windows 3.1 and I don't know if anyone really
> would care...
>
> It's worth noting in the MS-DOS release, I've put together a 'sampler'
> of ready to run OS's and enviroments.  I'm thinking this may be a
> 'good thing' so that it's all ready to run, and it'll lower the bar as
> it were to running SIMH...  And via DOSBOX just about anything out
> there that's modern-ish should run the binaries...  For what it's
> worth, there has been 30 downloads of the 3.7-3 MS-DOS binaries... I
> don't know who downloaded them, but I guess there is an audience for
> this stuff.

Very cool. SIMH+DOS, assuming that one could get the networking
working, could well be the best solution for a dedicated emulation
platform. One thing to consider for future releases, however, would be
to switch to DOS/32A (http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html), a
drop-in replacement for 4GW that seems to provide better performance
in many contexts (people who play DOS games, for example, report that
their games often work better when they replace the original 4GW with
32A) and also has the advantage of being open source.

Mike