[Simh] help with binaries on NOVA

Paco Linux paco.linux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 10:35:24 EST 2009

I think this is interesting:
Paco

Data General software agreement pre-announcement (Merry Christmas)

G'day DG legacy preservation fans -

After 9+ years of negotiations, Wild Hare has secured an agreement with Data
General to recover, archive and release Data General 16-bit and some 32-bit
software for educational and non-commercial purposes.  A official
announcement will be made next month, but I wanted to let list members know
that sometimes good things can happen.

A special thanks is extended to the amazing William Donzelli, and to the
quick-footed Carl Friend, who made the physical tape rescue in Massachusetts
possible.  Thanks also to the legal and technical folk at EMC (Data General)
who finally made this a legal reality - and who might prefer annonymity at
this point.

Details will be posted in a few weeks, but I wanted to share this bit of
Merry Christmas for DG fans.

Bruce

Bruce Ray
Wild Hare Computer Systems, Inc.
bkr at WildHareComputers.com

...preserving the Data General legacy:
www.NovasAreForever.com<http://www.novasareforever.com/>

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 2:00 AM, David and Jan Takle <djtakle at gmail.com>wrote:

> Wow! That's what I was looking for.
> Thanks Toby.
> ~David
>

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au>wrote:
>

>> On 26-Dec-09, at 5:46 PM, David and Jan Takle wrote:
>>
>> NOVA emulation --- I have RDOS running nicely and am trying to get used to
>> it, reading all the docs I can find (I'm an old IRIS programmer). But I keep
>> hitting a roadblock. I cannot get any binaries to run, either as a program
>> under RDOS or as a standalone program that would be booted by the RDOS
>> "program?" prompt. My guess is that there are some conventions that I am
>> missing regarding how an assembly program must be structured, and/or some
>> particular parameters that are required by the Assembler and Relocatable
>> Binary Loader.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it If anyone can supply a step-by-step plan for
>> writing a compatible Assembly program along with the correct ASM and RLDR
>> parameters to create (a) a runnable SAVE program (examp.sv) and (b) and
>> standalone bootable program.
>>

>> Hi David
>>
>> I contributed the relevant steps to the Nova 3 wikipedia page.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Nova#Assembly_language_examples
>>
>> You might find my Nova 3 cross-assembler useful.
>> http://telegraphics.com.au/svn/dpa/trunk/
>>
>> --Toby
>>

>> Thanks!
>> David