[Simh] vax780 ethernet - interlan? 3com?

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 23:56:09 EST 2009

The UWISC BSD distribution in the TUHS archive has this bit in the if_vv
set:

 Proteon proNET-10 and proNET-80 token ring driver.
 The name of this device driver derives from the old MIT
 name of V2LNI for the proNET hardware, would would abbreviate
 to "v2", but this won't work right. Thus the name is "vv".

 This driver is compatible with the proNET 10 meagbit and
 80 megabit token ring interfaces (models p1000 and p1080).
 A unit may be marked as 80 megabit using "flags 1" in the
 config file.

 TRAILERS: This driver has a new implementation of trailers that
 is at least a tolerable neighbor on the ring. The offset is not
 stored in the protocol type, but instead only in the vh_info
 field. Also, the vh_info field, and the two shorts before the
 trailing header, are in network byte order, not VAX byte order.

 Of course, nothing but BSD UNIX supports trailers on ProNET.
 If you need interoperability with anything else, turn off
 trailers using the -trailers option to /etc/ifconfig!

 HARDWARE COMPATABILITY: This driver prefers that the HSBU (p1001)
 have a serial number >= 040, which is about March, 1982. Older
 HSBUs do not carry across 64kbyte boundaries. They can be supported
 by adding "| UBA_NEED16" to the vs_ifuba.ifu_flags initialization
 in vvattach().

 The old warning about use without Wire Centers applies only to CTL
 (p1002) cards with serial <= 057, which have not received ECO 176-743,
 which was implemented in March, 1982. Most such CTLs have received
 this ECO.