[Simh] simh and tap device under linux

Seth Morabito sethm at loomcom.com
Tue Aug 25 14:31:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Tim Newsham<newsham at lava.net> wrote:
>> The other technique works as long as you have 'sudo' installed. You
>> can add a line to your /etc/sudoers file to let a normal user (login
>> 'foobar') run the executable as root:
>>
>> foobar           ALL=NOPASSWD: /path/to/pdp11
>
> You might as well just give root access to the person who will
> run pdp11.  If its setuid you can just shell out and run
> commands as root:

Good point - I was totally unaware that the ! command existed in SIMH
and allowed shell access. So both of those techniques are no good.
I've never had any reason to allow anyone (but myself) to run SIMH, so
I guess we're back at square one.

FWIW, I've been toying with creating a small JEOS VMware virtual
machine for SIMH, but it suffers a related problem: VMware will
complain if you attempt to put a guest ethernet device in promiscuous
mode. The host needs special permissions set on the /dev/vmnet*
interfaces for it to work, so it's not a drop-in solution either.

A purely user-space networking solution for SIMH is badly needed
(well, for some definitions of 'badly'.  And 'needed'. But it would
certainly be very welcome.)

-Seth