[Simh] Getting to the 780 console prompt

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 24 18:35:52 EDT 2009

The reason I want to run diagnostics is because I am playing around with an
attempt to add a device to the 780 emulation and I want to see what happens
when something tries to use the device. I have very little experience of so
many things at this level that I am finding it a bit of a struggle just to
get anything to happen, and getting diagnostics to work might just provide
me with a bit more info.

I have since been made aware that SIMH will accept a command like BOOT
RQ0/R5:10 (I did not know this until now), this works whereas depositing 10
in R5 and the booting does not. So I can boot the diagnostics, but it now
looks as if I am missing some files. Nevertheless I have now also been told
that there are some diagnostics that will run under VMS as well, so for now
it looks like I don't need the standalone diagnostics.

> Some background and some pointers...
>
> With a typical VAX, depositing 10 into register R5 prior to loading
> and launching VMB causes the VMB image (whether embedded in the
> console ROM, or loaded from the console media, or loaded from the
> system disk, or files that are referenced by the simh FLOAD from the
> RX01 console floppy image) to go look in the file
> SYSMAINT]DIAGBOOT.EXE as the secondary bootstrap, which launches the
> Diagnostic Supervisor (DS).  Some boxes can network boot DS, and many
> can boot DS from tape media.

Indeed that is what I had been trying, just going the wrong way about it as
mentioned above.

> [...]
> VAX RX01 media with OpenVMS.  IIRC, EXCHANGE arrived around V4.0 or
> so.  (Prior to that, the RSX tools and MCR tended to be used.  PIP?
> It's been a very long while since I tried RX01 console access from
> V3.x...)
>
> The VAX-11/780 console worked from boot command files and not from
> anything resembling a console prompt; the LSI-11 was good for its time
> but is now very limited.  With the VAX-11/780, there was usually a
> DSBOO.CMD or some such set up on the console storage device for this;
> you'd usually end up editing DEFBOO.CMD to do what you need, and
> create SYFBOO.CMD or DSBOO.CMD or some such local name.   This
> involved using EXCHANGE or CONSCOPY, too.  With the simh emulation,
> the console is rather different than that of a "real" VAX-11/780 box.
> You've probably already found the documentation at
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/vax780_doc.pdf
>   document, but that points to the use of the (far more recent)
> MicroVAX-style console with the simulator.  Which means BOOT dev /
> R5:10 is the usual command to (try to) get the DS going here on the
> VAX-11/780 emulation.
>
> There's a copy of the VAX-11/780 diagnostic supervisor manual at MANX
> at http://vt100.net/mirror/hcps/ds780ug2.pdf for reference, though
> there needs to be some recognition of the presence of the emulation
> and not real hardware.  There are various other VAX diagnostic-related
> documents posted on MANX, too.
>
> Finding out whether DS passes simh and simh hardware is certainly
> interesting, but few folks are looking to verify the simulator.  And
> those that are hopefully have access to the AXE (and MAX) VAX
> architecture verification tools; those are the old DEC tools for
> verifying a VAX processor and its instruction set.  AXE (and MAX)
> doesn't do all that much for verifying the I/O and the system
> environment.  (I don't know if Bob S. or Tim S. ever got his hands on
> these tools.)
>
> Getting various versions of (as it was then known) VAX/VMS to boot on
> the VAX-11/780 also depends on the particular implementation of the
> simulator, too.  IIRC, you needed V3.0 to be able to boot with C-
> series MS780 memory, for instance.  There were various hardware and
> version inter-dependencies lurking back in that era; it was quite
> common to need a specific new VMS release for a specific hardware
> giblet.   For the 20th anniversary, Andy G. and I and other folks
> tried to scrounge up and put together a VAX-11/780 that could boot
> V1.0, but we couldn't get the right (working) pieces.  (And some folks
> chucked some what we had acquired, but that's another story.)
>
> But (my) real question here is around what you're up to here; why
> you're looking to launch the DS.  Whether this is a hobbyist interest,
> or a production-level server migration question at its kernel.  The
> answer to this can take the discussion in a number of different

Definitely, this is a hobbyist only interest.