[Simh] VAX 780 as a boot server

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Apr 7 18:36:43 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Robert Jarratt wrote:
> I want to try using the SIMH VAX 780 as a boot server. I can't use
> the 3900 simulation as that needs a version of VMS that is too new (I
> need a version prior to 5.4, and only have up to 4.7).
>

> I have been told that the 780 does not emulate CI and therefore can't
> do it. However I believe that it does have a network interface. In
> that case can the 780 be a simple boot server? I confess that I have
> always been somewhat hazy about clustering, so I may be asking a
> really stupid question, my apologies if that is the case.

It should be able to be a boot server for things that can boot from a
LAVC, but an 11/780 itself never supported booting VMS off of an
ethernet interface.  I spent some time trying to figure out how to do
it, before realizign that VMB.EXE doesn't have an option to do that (I
was trying on a real 11/780, not emulated).

Pat