[Simh] hp2100 bug in BACI/telnet

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Tue Sep 30 00:29:47 EDT 2008

On Monday, September 29, 2008 at 15:55, Ken Cornetet wrote:

> I've discovered a bug in simh 3.8-0 in the BACI/telnet emulation.  If
> you are in EDIT/1000 and use control-O to copy a line you end up with a
> control-O at the end of the line you copied.

Try:

  sim> set baci debug
  sim> set console debug=baci.log

If you examine the debug trace after doing a CTRL+O in EDIT, you'll see
that the CTRL+O is received from the Telnet connection twice: once when you
enter it as a command, and a second time in response to the "ESC d" (block
transfer request) sent by EDIT to read the screen.  In other words, it's
being sent as part of the data read from the screen, which is how it winds
up in the file text.  The CTRL+O is actually embedded wherever the cursor
position is when you enter it.

I think that's a bug in QCTerm; the CTRL+O is being stored as part of the
screen buffer when you type it.  A real 2645 terminal stored typed control
characters in the screen buffer only when "display functions" was on.

(The same CTRL+O behavior is observed on the forthcoming 8-channel
multiplexer simulation.)

                                      -- Dave