[Simh] A new version...

Terry Newton wtn90125 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 20:52:02 EDT 2008

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> > I see a pattern... complex stuff breaks under Windows.
>
> What's complex about it? This seems all very
> straightforward...

To a makefile expert... just because I'm not doesn't
make me stupid. If it's straightforward then please
test it, figure out why the errors occur under Windows
and fix them, or make the decision that it'd be for
*nix use only. It may be the same version of make
but obviously there are environmental differences
that cause the more complex contructs to fail, or
there's a problem in the Windows-specific part.

Other than this I like the new makefile, it works
fine and is much faster under Linux, Philipp did a
good job but doesn't have Windows to test with, so
others need to do that but how can that proceed if
the one reporting bugs (like me) is dismissed.
It's just plain rude to suggest that I don't need
to do it - I'm a Linux user but I need to be able
to generate a modified hp2100.exe binary for my
public projects. But it doesn't matter why I need
it to work, it just needs to work.

The present SimH archive compiles just fine on
Windows 95 with only 64MB of ram, and my virtual XP
with 192MB can compile 4 copies of simh *at once*.
I know for a fact because I just did both of these
tests to dispell the stupid notion that gobs of
memory is required to compile SimH. Besides I
retested in a real XP install and got exactly the
same results, it has NOTHING to do with my dev
system and to suggest that it does when the
old system works just fine is an excuse.

The suggestion to use a cygwin shell is helpful,
but unfortunately the cygwin compiler requires
a runtime DLL which is much less desirable than
a standalone exe. I'd much prefer that the way
I've been doing it for years continue to work,
at least for the Windows side. Under Linux the
new makefile is a welcome improvement.

If the old makefile remains in the archive then
fine, it that case it doesn't matter if the new
one doesn't work under Windows and I can still
do what I need to do.. if the problem in the new
makefile can be fixed then that'd be great. But
since my results don't seem to count and only
result in flames, I'm passing it on to others
(I'm tired:-) once again, out of the makefile
business (just please don't break it...).

Terry