[Simh] A new version...

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Fri Sep 19 19:37:27 EDT 2008

On 19-Sep-08, at 7:19 PM, Terry Newton wrote:

> --- On Fri, 9/19/08, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:
>
>>> I was surprised that the new
>>> make is much faster than using the stock makefile.
>>
>> Didn't I tell?
>
> Yes.. it's true.. but speed of compile matters only if
> developing for simh, and only if recompiling the whole
> thing.

If you never compile you don't need a makefile.

> So for these folks it's a good thing! ... it would really
> aggrevate me if I got to that step and it no longer
> worked, so that's why I felt compelled to speak up
> about the wisdom of leaving the default makefile alone.
> Because it works. Not everyone has a fancy computer,

This is completely irrelevant to whether the Makefile should be
designed correctly or not.

Of course any new Makefile must be TESTED and must WORK.

> and frankly I see far more troubles reported by those
> with the latest and greatest than with modest hardware.
> Soon I need to get a new machine, and I dread it.
>
> And no, not giving virtual XP any more ram... it shall
> deal with 192 megs or crumble. MinGW/cygwin/perl etc runs
> just fine in my virtual XP,

OK, then perhaps you need the help of more testers to determine if
your configuration is actually workable. I did volunteer earlier,
even though Windows is not my favourite toy.

It may not make sense - i.e. be a fruitless quest - to build simh
with gcc in 192MB under XP. Do you need to build it there at all? Why
not cross compile in a reasonable environment and take the binaries
to your cut-down virtual machine?

And there are other compilers which should be able to build simh
under Windows, surely - Watcom, Borland, VSC++ Express, icc... ? gcc
is very demanding in terms of memory; I would not be surprised if it
had transient requirements of 100s of MB during a compile.

(All of this is likely irrelevant to make, anyway.)

--Toby