[Simh] The new Makefile

Broer van Smeden smeden at scarlet.nl
Fri Sep 19 15:40:48 EDT 2008

Dear Larry,

Till now, I've not really the discussion about the use of the makefile. I'm
only running a vax here, (OpenVMS 7.3) on my P4 2.8 Ghz, running WXP

And think that at least is much faster than the old hardware.

Even I've never compiled any module, however, I expect to get a alpha server
ds-10 within this year.

After that, I want to move my vax environment to AXP and probably build my
own binary. (since that's what I normally do on OpenVMS).

For that, I don't use MMS, be the freeware MMK (Madgoat make), which can
handle a normal make file (as well mms scripts).

In this case, compiling will only compile the modified sources, but of
course the linking will take some time (I expect less than 10 seconds on the
DS-10), because that AXP is quite faster than the 64 bit machine from around
1995. So if you want to change the code, "make" is the right way

Maybe you have the possibility to upgrade to OpenVMS 7.3-2. This might speed
up your system, because that VMS version has many improvement made for the
IA64 port of OpenVMS.

Kind regards,

Broer

  _____