[Simh] Version 3.8 VAX build problem?

Terry Newton wtn90125 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 22:10:20 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:

> while writing my Makefile, I came across a problem with the
> VAX build.
> I immediately tried the original 3.8 archive and get the
> same effect.
> MANY warnings and MANY linker errors:

On my Ubuntu 8.04 system, using gcc 4.2.3 I get a few warnings
that "C99 inline functions are not supported; using GNU89".

Using gcc 3.4.6 I get no warnings at all.

I don't recall the inline errors when I originally compiled
this version (but might have not been looking), and the
binary file sizes shrunk by 0.3K - something changed.
The vax binary works running my old half-corrupted BSD 4.3
install (simh script out of date, I never properly shut it down
because it just says something's hung when I try, zork and chess
cause a coredump - but it "works"). The 3.4 binary seems faster.

Terry