[Simh] PDP10 ethernet?

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Fri Sep 5 20:08:09 EDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:39:51 -0700
> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>

> At 12:52 AM +0200 9/5/08, Andreas Davour wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>> I believe SIMH only emulates the KS10, and as I recall that hardware
>>> never really supported ethernet.  You might have better luck with the
>>> KLH10 emulator.  You might find the following page of use, though I
>>> really need to find time to update it.

>> SIMH is a marvellous tool, but for running PDP10 systems I recommend
>> using KLH10. It's more focused on one system and does it slightly
>> better. I personally find SIMH a little bit easier to configure,
>> though.

> I recommend KLH10 as well, at least for TOPS-10 and TOPS-20, since it
> emulates a KL-10 rather than a KS-10.  As I mentioned I've not really
> messed with ITS, so not sure which it would work on.  Still SIMH is a
> quite nice platform for running TOPS-10 on.  For TOPS-20 KLH10 is
> really the only real choice.

The makefile for KLH10 will build either a KL or a KS emulator, and Ken
supplied an ITS disk image (PI) for the KS emulator.

I use both SimH and KLH10 for Tops-10 and TOPS-20 debugging from time to time,
when I'm trying something that can crash the real hardware.  SimH is handy
because it runs natively on Windows (the office environment here), whereas I
have to run VMware Server on my desktop to run a Linux to run KLH10 and there
are times when the startup overhead is simply not worth the trouble.

                                                                Rich