[Simh] Installing VMS from backup sets

Edward Berry eaberry1 at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 2 14:19:49 EDT 2008

Robert G. Schaffrath wrote:
> I have a V5.5-2 system that I loaded from backup tape.  To restore my
> savesets, I purchased a copy of the VMS V7.2 hobbyist CDROM and built a
> V7.2 system.  Once I got that up and running, I mounted a blank disk, my
> V5.5-2 backup saveset and restored it to the blank disk.  I then booted
> my restored V5.5-2 and it came up with few problems (missing devices was
> biggest problem).

On vax, installing vms from the hobbyist cdrom involves
booting SA-backup from the cd-rom and restoring a saveset.
I guess if you had your tape image attached to a virtual tape drive
in the .ini file, you could select to restore from that instead,
bypassing vms 7.2 install.

Here is Phil Wherry's example (from
http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html)
DUA3 here is the image of the hobyist CD:

(BOOT/R5:0 DUA3)
2..
-DUA3
1..0..
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version X7G7 Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
%WBM-I-WBMINFO Write Bitmap has successfully completed initialization.
PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM) 19-APR-2003 15:46
Configuring devices . . .

Now configuring HSC, RF, and MSCP-served devices . . .

Please check the names of the devices which have been configured,
to make sure that ALL remote devices which you intend to use have
been configured.

If any device does not show up, please take action now to make it
available.

Available device DUA0: device type RA92
Available device DUA1: device type RA92
Available device DUA2: device type RA92
Available device DUA3: device type RRD40

Enter "YES" when all needed devices are available: y
%BACKUP-I-IDENT, Stand-alone BACKUP T7.2; the date is 19-APR-2003 15:48:04.20

At this point, you're running a small "standalone" operating system that's used for backing up and restoring data. Use the command
that follows to restore the VMS "save set" from CD-ROM to the first hard disk.

$ backup dua3:vms073.b/save_set dua0:
%BACKUP-I-PROCDONE, operation completed. Processing finished at 19-APR-2003 15:51:51.01
If you do not want to perform another standalone BACKUP operation,
use the console to halt the system.

If you do want to perform another standalone BACKUP operation,
ensure the standalone application volume is online and ready.
Enter "YES" to continue: