[Simh] DECnet problem with SIMH PDP11 vs real PDP11

Broer van Smeden smeden at scarlet.nl
Sun Mar 30 04:41:38 EDT 2008

Dear Göran and all,

Some years ago, we face a similar problem on our site. We have 2 AXP sytems,
both with 4 ethernet adapters. We planned to run DECNET en normal IP traffic
for one (to our site lan) and two other were connected to 2 separated (IP)
lan's. Because one system was a kind of backup to the other 'production'
system, also the backup system was coonected to the special (IP) lans. All
DECNET copies to other nodes were OK, but between the both systems, all was
very slow (even slower than PDP and VAX).
So you migth try to prevent a 'double path' by just disconnecting some
(coax?) wiring.
Furthermore, I remember from the past that the blocksize between PDP-11 and
VAX/AXP might also influence, but I'm not familiar with the setting of
DECNET and setting up decnet area's and routers. So also in that area, a
problem can be present.

Kind regards
Broer van Smeden