[Simh] RSTS/E Progress and Questions

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:25:15 EDT 2008

Hi,
    I'm glad to report I've made some progress in understanding the RSTS/E
system.  I found that my pre-existing OCR program on Windows makes listening
to DEC manuals nearly seemless: there are a few recognition and other
errors, but overall I was very impressed.  I like having all the documention
at my fingertips.  Now, for a few questions...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think RSTS/E includes a TCP/IP
stack?  I know VMS has several to pick from, and the resemblence between the
two systems--based on my limited experience--is uncanny, probably because
they both use DCL as a core component.  Nevertheless, I doubt the
resemblence is such as to permit VAX code to run on a PDP11.
    I just saw a post on here a few days ago about Kermit, before deciding
to see what this whole RSTS thing was all about.  If there's no TCP stack,
how does one transfer files?  I know Kermit has a lot of features, I haven't
explored them all by any means.
    Also, on a related note, I've seen several .tap and .tpc files on
trailing edge FTP archives.  Fortran, Basic plus and what I think is BP2,
etc.  They are in .tap format, but I can't seem to get RSTS to mount them.
Running mtcvt23 on them just gets me zero-length files: not helpful.
    Am I using the wrong tape device?  There are several to pick from, I was
using what RSTS/E refers to as MM0, and what SIMH calls tu0.  I saw a post
on here earlier about FORTRAN installing with another device, but so far
haven't gotten that or anything else working.  I know there are ways, just
not sure what those are.
Any advice or information appreciated.
Thanks much,
Zack.