[Simh] PDP 11 and rsts problem

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Mon Mar 17 11:14:10 EDT 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Ray Jewhurst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I follow all the instructions that come with Bill's
> package and I keep on getting the error:  HALT
> instruction, PC:  000002  <HALT>.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Any help would appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

Hi Ray,

I was going to ask for more information about what you were doing, but I
decided to take a look at what Bill had zipped to see if there were any
problems with his archive (it seems to work fine Bill).

Your booting an empty container file Ray.  In Bill's rsts.ini file it
defines an RP04 as the container file that holds RSTS V9.6:

set RP enable
set RP0 RP04
attach RP0 RSTS_V9.RP04
echo RSTS_V9.RP04 mounted on RP0: (DB0:)

If you have not unzipped his RSTS_V9.RP04 file from the RSTS_V9.RP04.zip
that he put in the Disks folder, SimH is going to create a new file that
will be empty (thus, you are booting an empty container file).

Brett

PS. Traditionally, the "System Manager account [1,2]" was setup with the
password "SECRET" and the "System Library account [1,1]" was "SYSLIB"
(not system as in VMS sets).