[Simh] FTN77 WORKS! Re: RSTS/E v96 installation

Fausto Saporito fausap at unina.it
Wed Mar 12 21:22:24 EDT 2008

Hello Bill and all,

thanks to useful message sent by Tim, I was able to install Fortran77
5.4 under RSTS/E 9.6

This is the procedure:

On the tape there are these files:

AUT101.A
AUTVER.BCK
F77F77.A
F77REL.BCK

First, make sure the "AUTO INSTALL" directory exists:

$ SHOW LOGICAL

(Check the list to make sure that AUTOIN$: exists, and points to a PPN.)
(If not exists create the logical with

$ ASSIGN/SYSTEM SY:[pn,ppn] AUTOIN$:

(check also for AUTWRK$:, if it doesn't exist, create in a similar
way, specifying a *different* ppn)

$ ASSIGN/SYSTEM SY:[pn1,ppn1] AUTWRK$:

then create the actual AUTOIN$: account and AUTWRK$: account,

$ CREATE/ACCOUNT AUTOIN$:
$ CREATE/ACCOUNT AUTWRK$:

Do a manual restore of the AUT backup files. . .

RESTORE MU0:AUT101.A AUTOIN$:

RESTORE MU0:AUTVER.BCK AUTOIN$:

Dismount the tape.

$ DISMOUNT MU0:

Hit control-E, and DET TQ0, and then re-attach it. . .  set it to LOCKED.

DET TQ0
ATT TQ0  F77.TAP    (or whatever you have called it.)
SET TQ0 LOCKED
GO

Now, start the auto install process:

@AUTOIN$:AUTOIN

At the prompt, it will ask you what you want to install. . .

Type in:    F77

Follow the prompts to start the installation, using the default.

Important note:    It will ask WHERE to install the program.

Do *NOT* point it to Frntrn7$: . . . your install will fail if you do.

The default install location is [1,2]

regards,
fausto