[Simh] RSTS/E 9.5 (Now 9.6)

Bill Heaton wheaton at cryptocybernetics.com
Mon Mar 10 06:59:27 EDT 2008

8-)Tim, I understand the running Hot and Cold on the  "Golden Age" of
computing.  But periodically something
sparks my interest and I work on it some more.  Of course the latest
was finding the V9.5 distribution and
many of the V9 manuals online, and so I'm getting some more work done.

Right now I'm concentrating on V9.0 to V9.6 which I believe keeps us
somewhat legit.  However, if I find
later stuff, I put it away in a Archive.

I am firmly convinced that eventually someone will know someone that
will know someone that can expand
the licenses on what we can use.  The alternative I find a bit
depressing, losing an entire generation of what
was a really cool operating system seems such a shame.

Speaking of legal issues;  I have a copy of the Mentec license so that
I can make sure that it's on my
distribution.  I've tried several times to contact them as they are
actually within driving distance.  So far
I haven't received any replies (I suspect they get really tired of
those types of emails or calls).  The last
time I checked I didn't find any mention of the DEC software on their
site.  It would be such a blast if
they would do one last data dump.  I would be willing to put some
serious time into such a project.

Here's something that you guys can help me with;  I distinctly
remember DEC at some point giving
permission to copy the old Manuals for their legacy systems.  I have
been searching for that but so
far haven't found it..   (Silly me for not saving it away in my
Archive)  Can anybody give me a pointer?

Thank-you Tim for the link!  It has several things on it that I was
missing!  I used to play at OMSI down
in Portland so the pdp-11 C and pdp-11 Fortran (remember when they had
a version written in Basic?)
brought back some good memories.

Well it's late and I've been up all night downloading manuals.  I
believe I now have a full 9.X manual set
mostly from 9.2 onward.  <Sigh!> So much for being quiet;  Once again;
Thank you to everybody
that has popped out of the shadows.

Regards, Bill Heaton