[Simh] How to exchange files with VMS ?

Pierre-Francois BESSON bessonpf at computer.org
Sat Mar 1 04:50:09 EST 2008

Hello list,

I am using (for fun, just to remember good old time) SIMH Vax / VMS on a
PowerBook G4 on OS-X.

I connect through telnet using serial line emulation for console. Most
of the time, the PBook is disconnected from the ethernet network so VMS
TCP/IP emulation does not work.

Is there a way to exchange files between the PBook and the Vax by either
"simulated" network (but it has to work even if no physical network is
connected to the Mac) or by any utility that is able to "open", read and
modify the VMS disk files ? I tried to use Kermit, I was able to launch
kermit on VMS and to launch it on OS-X, but unable connect both through
telnet connection.

Second question, what is the best way to buy (in Europe if possible, or
even France by chance) old Vax stations, or small size Vax at low
hoobyist price ? (I worked on a 750 and then 8xxx and 6xxx too big for
my small apartment !)

Thank you for your help !

Pierre-François Besson