[Simh] 3.8-0 released

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Thu Jun 26 19:06:19 EDT 2008

On Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 14:28, Ken Cornetet wrote:

> Oh my goodness! An FMGR prompt! I never thought I'd see one of those
> again!

Yes, it's actually pretty remarkable just what operating systems of that
time could shoehorn into a hundred kilobytes or so.  Makes one wonder why
we are required to have a gigabyte of RAM and half a terabyte of disk to
run a one-user OS today.  :-)

> Ok, my new question is: I know there was some discussion in the past
> about the RTE-6 firmware - has it all been implemented?

The HP simulator documentation at:

  http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/hp2100_doc.pdf

...lists everything that has been implemented.  The table on page 6 shows
all of the firmware options available.

> If I gen my own system, can I use the RTE-6 RP's in my answer file?

Yes.  In fact, the 2540 and 4010 revisions of the primaries have the OS
firmware RPs generated in and won't run unless you enable the firmware in
SIMH.

> Oh, and another question: Is the format of the 7970 tape file
> documented anywhere?

If by that you mean the SIMH tape format, then yes, it's here:

  http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/simh_magtape.pdf

                                      -- Dave