[Simh] idle on VMS and Windows

Phil Brett phil at thatphilbrettguy.com
Tue Jun 10 11:55:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've installed the pre built V3.7-3 binaries, installed VMS 7.3 and
currently stepping back in life 20 years having fun! Oh the joy of being a
sys admin, submitting batch jobs, attaching your term to them, deleting the
original login and doing show users and nothing showing up J. OPCOM messages
to users from nowhere was always a bored afternoon game.

Anyway, back to the question. I've set cpu idle=VMS in the emulator and it
seems to have no effect. It's the top line in a vax.ini file I use. Well, I
say it has no effect...it did work once and the emulator idled nicely at 1%
cpu on the XP box. Other times it uses 20% of the CPU (it's a hyperthreaded
dual processor box), and other times 25% (as if the idle hasn't been set). I
can't as yet see a pattern. Show cpu shows idle enabled=VMS when asked.

Any gotcha's I should be aware of? I've spent an evening going through the
mail archive and I can see there have been issues in the past, but no
Windows specific ones. I'm happy to have a play in the debugger to see if I
can spot something, but I thought I'd ask first.

Regards

Phil