[Simh] FTP client connecting to SIMH/OpenVMS?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Tue Jun 10 11:26:11 EDT 2008

Peter asks:
> Guys, I'm struggling to get a simple client program
> running on a PC to be able to FTP a file to/from
> OpenVMS 7.1 running under SIMH. The issue is
> simple: the Microsoft .NET 2.0 FTP class fesses-up
> when confronted with VMS directory names. It
> basically doesn't work, and Microsoft have
> acknowledged this as an issue.

> I'm just wondering if anyone else on the list has
> solved this problem, of how to write a simple
> Windows program to get files in/out of VMS, using c# / DotNet etc.

I have always liked Perl's Net::FTP class, and it works just
wonderfully storing/pulling/polling files from VMS FTP servers.

But... Perl is kind of like the moral opposite of C#/DotNet
in my head. One is easy, painless, portable, intercompatible
with all common protocols and filesystems - the other is
pain and misery! Some will agree with that last sentence
of mine but reverse the two subjects! But someone must've
made the two work together!

Tim.