[Simh] RTE-6/VM configuration

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sat Jul 5 14:16:56 EDT 2008

On Friday, July 04, 2008 at 23:06, Brett Bump wrote:

> If memory serves me correctly I recall our H-11 console (first tube I
> had) ran HT11 (actually RT-11 V2) which had a sticky for RUBOUT for
> backspace. Seems to me (even though I never struggled with an ASR33) a
> RUBOUT (127) character was more valuable during editing on paper than a
> true backspace would have been (and more true to the original designs
> for those OS'es).

All quite reasonable.  The confusing part for me is why such
transformations were made across all simulators, i.e., across dissimilar
machines and different operating systems, when essentially this should be a
local remapping.  DEL/RUBOUT can be generated with CTRL+BACKSPACE on a PC
keyboard, so this is a convenience remapping to ease typing.

HP 2000 Time-Shared BASIC systems used the underscore (presented on early
terminals as a back arrow) for character delete, and either ESC or CTRL+X
for line delete, depending on revision.  Remapping these to BS and DEL
might be convenient for TSB users, but I wouldn't argue that those choices
should be imposed on Nova, Interdata, IBM, etc. users.

Fortunately, (global) remapping for DEL was added at 3.2-1.  Adding a
similar capability for BS would be useful.

                                      -- Dave