[Simh] Excess IOs running SIMH on Windows/XP

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 25 07:43:01 EST 2008

Well - the proof is in the eating!!
The sim ran all through the night, and logged millions of write bytes!!
Millions as opposed to billions!!

I can't see anywhere obvious where I can specify the extensions of the file to
"be protected" - but doesn't really matter.  I have configured a seperate
partition for the VAX and just disabled the restore point for the entire
partition. ( I will check at work - where we are running professional and see if
the restore point options are the same!)

I wonder how many other's have been bit by this....

So many times, I thought that it had been fixed - the massive IO crunch was not
happening at startup or shutdown - or not always or....  But running it for a
longer time almost always showed massive amounts of write IO charged - enough
for at least a byte for every vax disk byte - and sometimes multiples of this...

Not this time.  I think we have the smoking gun this time....
(and it seems to start up quicker to - but that's probably just wishful
thinking!)

Villy