[Simh] Excess IOs running SIMH on Windows/XP

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 24 21:31:22 EST 2008

I think that I have finally solved my excessive disk IO problems.

I have disabled System Restore points for the drives containing my virtual
disks, and the number of IOs (according) to FileMon appears to be way down.

One thing that I would like to do is have the device driver for the RQ disks
issue a seek to the last sector on the disk after attaching the drive.

The reason I want to do this is that this will cause Windows (at Least) to
extend the file to it's full size (if it isn't there already) - instead of it
gradually growing in bits and pieces over time.

The structures confuse me - would someone who knows what they are doing show me
how to specify the value of lbn (i.e. usable size) + RCTS while inside the RQ
device driver

Thanks

Villy

Villy Madsen