[Simh] Problem with "attach xq"

Hittner, David T. david.hittner at ngc.com
Thu Jan 24 08:34:37 EST 2008

If you look at the attach code, you'll see that *some* of the real pcap-selectable adapters are
'disallowed' and removed from the list of connectable devices if they do not meet
certain criteria - this was primarily done to remove WAN adapters, bridges (brX), loopbacks (lo0)
and similar 'illegal' network objects from the list. And yes, this can make it a bit confusing.

The reason for the 'ATT XQ ethX' syntax is that the code was originally designed using a
simple linux system with just the standard eth0 port, and the pcap map-numbered syntax
was added later to 'standardize' the attach syntax for Windows systems (which have horrible device names).

However, for MOST users on systems with one or two ethernet ports, the ethX designation will work -
if not, you can either
  1) Get the list of allowed devices with SHOW XQ ETH (as Mark suggested), or
  2) Connect using the hard device name with ATT XQ <device-name-literal>
	(on *ix use the full path of the device, not the just the simple ethX designator)
      [this also works to 'force' connection to one of the illegal devices]

The pattern 'ethX' is what triggers the PCAP filtered map correlation - if the device
string does not match the 'ethX' 4-character pattern, it will assume
that you are using a device-name-literal. I suppose that we could
disambiguate it by making the match pattern 'pcapX', however that
would *still* confuse people who have run tcpdump and are expecting the full list
of pcap device numbers, not just the 'allowed' list.

We would be happy for anyone familiar with *ix device programming to provide
the code to fill in the device description string to help make it more obvious
which adapter you are selecting.

Dave
SIMH Ethernet developer