[Simh] RE : Simh execution speed improvement - about 45% improvement.

Boucher, François boucher.francois at uqam.ca
Thu Jan 17 21:24:11 EST 2008

Hi, Marc

I am quite impressed by your very high VUPS results!
I did try to reproduce your results, with a sun sunfire 4100 equipped with two single core opteron CPUs running at 2.2GHz, with solaris 10 and sunstudio 11 to compile simh.  Unfortunately, I am a newbie on solaris.

First I did not succeed in compiling simh with sunstudio.  I received a huge number of errors of the compiler that complains there are some illegal blanks.  Is there a switch to pass on to the compiler?

I then did compile on the same platform with gcc and gmake, simh 3.7-3 unmodified, and it gave me 12.0 VUPS.
with the modified (the memory access functions declared as inline) vax_cpu.c it gave me 15.0 VUPS.
Both speed results are too low for my target setup to be usable.

So, i would very very much appreciate if you can give me a few pointers:
1) what is your machine make, model, CPU type and speed?
2) What should i use as arguments in sunstudio to build simh?  Do I use the provided makefile, or should I try to generate a new one?

Thanks in advance,

François Boucher ing