[Simh] Emul. DL-lines over Telnet for PDP11, but all char's are converted Upper Case

Göran Åhling ahling at eadc.se
Fri Feb 29 16:24:44 EST 2008

Hello!
An interesting idea, but, I´m sorry to say, but it dosn´t explain my
problem...

This software version is the very last available. Y2K-secured and all
(released in -99). It runs fine, using lower-case when I "set host " or
connect to it using LAT. It't only when I try to access the emulated
DL-lines that this problem occurs.

Now, during the day, I got some more ideas, did some testing, and
managed to penetrate this problem further!

The way forward was to give the "sim>HELP SHOW MODIFIERS", that revealed
a SET TTOX UC, 7B, 8B, 7P, ... (as opposed to the SET TTIX... I tryed by
myself)

So, I tried  "sim>SET TTOX0 8B" in the setup, before booting, and this
made the first telneted terminal (that came to TT1:) to work with
lower-case.
BUT: Next in line: TT2: using the next telnet terminal window... gave UC
again :-(
I made some SHOW TTOX ... showing just what I hade lumped into...

And both SHOW and SET ttix_ and ttox_ seems to have a number that, as I
understand it, reflects more a controller number, each controller having
8 lines (strange enough, as DL:s used to come 1 by 1!). SET TTOX1
renders: "Non-existion unit".
I have made set ttix lines=8 in my set-up file.

I've tried to look into the source-code, but C never was my favorite...
to me, .EQ. 200 CONTINUE ...is clear, but ->||{ ... } is more of
guesswork (but I have a book describing the clues to such a quiz  ;-)

Where I found the RSX? At a company that really needs some help. They
operate roughly 20 PDP:s (all real hardware) for test-stands operations.
There used to be at least twice the amount, all sw developed "in house"
etc. These machines are supposed to work until their "full time", and
they really do the job, so putting time, money and effort into replacing
the PDP with a PC to do the same job in the same way wuold'nt make sense
neither to me, nor to the bean-counters... The only problem is that both
the men that used to fiddle with these were sent home (due to illnes and
retirement age). I used to play for  hobby and fun with PDP:s for a lot
of years - I used to be a System Manager for VMS -systems in my first
job, long time ago. An old friend of mine (computer fellow...) from
those days works at this company, need I say any more? Btw,  I've found
a pile of licences, plenty of them compared to what is still running...

All machienes interface hw, both comersial and tailored ("home-brew").
All but one that is. The one used for develpment, having all sources
etc. No backup available, and no tape-unit...

I have been quite anctious until I managed to get a true clone of that
machiene, which is this SIMH... I Don't really use it for production or
anything like that, but I like the SIMH very much, and this gave me an
excellent time to get into the system, while getting my hart-rate return
to normal after realizing the safety of the entire aplication source,
about 35 k lines of F77 code, beeing a double disc in one single computer!

I had some fuzz bootstrapping myself into the SIMH with this immages,
but it really worked out, finally, after getting some advice,...
I got a SIMH immage with the same OS-version from a freind. This
version, amongst all, include a new feature, the virtual devices! So, I
enabled some virutal devices in the running 11/93,  attached disc's of
suitable size and made BACKUP /MOUNTED....    after detach, the
container-file of one disc (at a time) could be copied using decnet onto
the "given" PDP/SIMH on my PC. Later, I have changed DEC-net addres and
host-name of the copy, and I'm even able to boot it inte the same Lan!

Still this terminal access problem of mine, though.

All PDP:s running are 11/93 with SCSI-attached discs. All disc:s are
used 2 by 2, beeing identical. From time to time, when a disc has read
its final block, a new disc has to be replaced. Those are(were) found
plenty of from scrapped Mac's a frew years ago. Regular 3,5" 8-bit SCSI.
A simple sand-alone BRU from the working disc to the replacement dics,
reboot, and again operational.

Just want to mention that the technology that replaced this is allready
dead and scrapped. The next again had to have a major upgrade,
unplanned, unbudgeted... Memory, Disc and mother-board had to be
upgraded after just 18 months of operations, as corporate policy
suddenly required PC:s to run XP and antivirus and ...

Nothing unplanned, unexpected, like that has happened with the PDP:s!
Some of them were a little shaky, but when I replaced stuck colling air
fans with working fans, this dissapeared also!

/Göran