[Simh] PDP11 DZ-Driver and RSX11M

Holger Veit holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Wed Dec 3 15:28:27 EST 2008

Tim Shoppa schrieb:
> Holger Veit <holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
>> I am currently trying to get the simh DZ11 device to work with RSX11M
>> 4.4 BL46, to test serial stuff. I have generated a new system with
>> support for the card in, and VMR reports that it has TT1: to TT10: (TT0:
>> is the CO: resp. YL: device which works). I have used the CSRs and
>> vectors that simh reports on DZ, something like 17760100 (or 160100 in
>> 16bit speak) and vector 300, but when I boot the new system, it will
>> report the various disk devices I have generated, but none of the DZ mux
>>    devices at all. I observed that simh SHO DEV reports the vectors for
>> 8 lines as 300-304 (or with 16 lines as 300-314) which should be
>> 300-307, but this is maybe just a fallacy of the show_vec() routine. In
>> case this  would be a bug I tried to fool simh/RSX by telling simh to
>> have 16 lines (300-314) but only generating 4 lines (YZ = 300,160100,3,
>> in sysgen) but this doesn't make a difference.
>>
>> Did I forget anything - my RSX knowledge has come to age a bit, or has
>> the The Last Bug(tm) popped up here?
>>

> It's been a long time, but I believe that by default SIMH is a Q-bus
> processor, and there DZ11 support means DZV11 support, which is only
> 4 lines.
>
> I don't know whether this is happening inside SYSGEN or in the driver,
> I suspect not in SYSGEN because you do end up with 8 generated lines
> in the tables. So try cajoling things into building for a Unibus machine.

Hi,
thanks for the hint, but I already tried to generate for an emulated
11/23+ (Qbus) as well as an 11/44 (Unibus), no difference in behaviour.

The PDP-11 simh docs at trailing-edge don't explicitly distinguish
between DZ11 and DZV11, but SYSGEN docs
(AA-H625C-TC) describe the YZ driver generated into RSX as valid for
both. So I guess whatever SIMH actually provides, it should be recognized.
And mentioned SIMH infact claims to emulate 8 lines per DZ device, just
what SYSGEN accepts (it breaks the @SYSGEN dialogue when I try to
generate 4 YZ boards, i.e. 32 lines, but this is a different story).

Regards
Holger