[Simh] PDP11 DZ-Driver and RSX11M

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Wed Dec 3 07:28:29 EST 2008

Holger Veit <holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> I am currently trying to get the simh DZ11 device to work with RSX11M
> 4.4 BL46, to test serial stuff. I have generated a new system with
> support for the card in, and VMR reports that it has TT1: to TT10: (TT0:
> is the CO: resp. YL: device which works). I have used the CSRs and
> vectors that simh reports on DZ, something like 17760100 (or 160100 in
> 16bit speak) and vector 300, but when I boot the new system, it will
> report the various disk devices I have generated, but none of the DZ mux
>    devices at all. I observed that simh SHO DEV reports the vectors for
> 8 lines as 300-304 (or with 16 lines as 300-314) which should be
> 300-307, but this is maybe just a fallacy of the show_vec() routine. In
> case this  would be a bug I tried to fool simh/RSX by telling simh to
> have 16 lines (300-314) but only generating 4 lines (YZ = 300,160100,3,
> in sysgen) but this doesn't make a difference.
>
> Did I forget anything - my RSX knowledge has come to age a bit, or has
> the The Last Bug(tm) popped up here?

It's been a long time, but I believe that by default SIMH is a Q-bus
processor, and there DZ11 support means DZV11 support, which is only
4 lines.

I don't know whether this is happening inside SYSGEN or in the driver,
I suspect not in SYSGEN because you do end up with 8 generated lines
in the tables. So try cajoling things into building for a Unibus machine.

Tim.