[Simh] PDP-11 DC-11 tty support?

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 23:22:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham at lava.net> wrote:
 > We've been entering 1972 kernel sources into a machine readable format
 >  from a scan of an old printout
 >  (http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2008-April/001697.html).
 >
 >  I've started looking over the hardware required to run this version
 >  of UNIX and it seems that they used the DC-11 (with at least six
 >  devices, but perhaps as much as 8 or 9?) for terminal IO.  There's
 >  also support for the console (simh TTI and TTO) but old manuals
 >  I've found online suggest that the console was only used in single
 >  user mode.  So it seems getting support for the DC-11 device would
 >  be very useful for running this old version of UNIX.  Unfortunately
 >  I don't see any support for it in SIMH.
 >
 >  Has anyone written such support?  Investigated it?  How hard would it
 >  be?  Is documentation for this device available (other than the source
 >  code for device drivers)?  Are there any other emulators that currently
 >  support the DC-11?

 I just did a quick run-through of the DC-11 pages in "Peripherals and
 Interfacing Handbook" 1972.  My impression is that a DC-11 is just
 like a KL-11 (standard serial interface) except that it has a lot of
 extra CSR bits for modem control and speed selection.  You might be
 able to ignore those bits in an emulation.

    carl
 --
  carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
  clowenstein at ucsd.edu