[Simh] Best NFS Serevr for OpenVMS?

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 16 15:04:09 EDT 2008

Zane,

I don't think there are file size limitations.  The server file
system (Linux ext3) is no problem.  I just looked at the file sizes
of the compressed Backup save sets.  I see several almost 5 GB, which
means they were probably 8–10 GB when Backup wrote them.  I still use
it to make backups from our OpenVMS/Alpha system.  I don't know what
limitations the SIMH VAX might have on disk size.  I remember running
into the 24-bit hardware size limitation on no. of disk blocks on a
real MicroVAX III.  (Disks appear to be module 8 GB their capacity; a
20 GB drive shows up as 4 GB.)  This was using a SCSI II controller
that emulated an MSCP QDA50 controller.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608