[Simh] Tools for ODS-2 disk image access from host platforms?

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 14 13:46:42 EDT 2008

> on 13-4-2008 14:31 Tim Shoppa wrote...
>
>> What tools exist for accessing ODS-2 (VMS) filesystems in disk
>> images,
>> from say Windows or Unix or Linux or whatever? I know ODS-2
>> is potentially more complicated not only because of the filesystem
>> but also the RMS-11 record formatting of many files.
>>

> SRI delivers a Files-11 (ODS-2) browser with their CHARON-VAX
> emulator.
> It seems to be publicly available from:
>
> ftp://chvx-public:charon@ftp.sri-gva.ch/Utilities/Files_11_Browser.zip

I downloaded the SRI file on my Mac, but it looks to be Windows only.

Several years ago (July 2005) I modified Paul Nankervis' ODS-2 reader
utility (from June 1998).  I stared with Hunter Goatley's September
2001 version.  It builds (at that time) on Windows (many flavors),
Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Tru64 Unix, etc.  If that is what you have
in mind, I can send it to you to try out.  I actually plan to revive
working with it it in a month or so when I wrap up publication of a
17 year data collection of earthquakes we recorded on a seismograph
array using OpenVMS/VAX on a MicroVAX II/III.  The original data are
all archived now on ODS-2 CDs.  I plan to develop a recipe for
accessing the data in its original format, should that ever be
necessary, using either SIMH or the ODS-2 reader.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov