[Simh] VUPs?

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Sun Apr 6 17:52:21 EDT 2008

> From: aceyem at cox.net
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 09:28:00 -0700

> Vaxen and PDP-11s arent the only places where these shenanegins took place.
> FEs could effectively double the speed of the KL-10 processor ("anyone
> remember the DEC-10?") by simply cutting a single wire with a pair of pliers.
> Once word of this "upgrade" leaked out the customers performed the upgrades
> themselves instead of paying the FEs to do it.

I think you've confused the KL-10 with the IBM System 360 Models 30 and 40.
There is no slower-speed variant of the KL-10 processor; speed ups were gained
by adding cache[1] and memory.

                                                                Rich

[1] A CitiBank operator, having overheard the systems folks discussing the
    upgrade from a 2040 to a 2050, answered a customer inquiry about the
    difference between the two as "Cash."  He was pretty much right.