[Simh] VUPs?

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:33:29 EDT 2008

Hi,
    I was just curious about the issue of VUPS today, having read somewhere
that Digital used this as a measure of the relative performance of VAX CPUs
as compared with the VAX 11/780.
    I downloaded and ran a file called vups.com from Emulator's
International.  It reported a value ranging from around 8.0 to 8.2, this
being on a  duel core laptop.  I was just curious how 'authentic' this
number is, but I can't seem to find specifications for the KA655 which give
its typical levels.
    I must admit I'm surprised.  I read elsewhere that typical computers of
several years ago gave VUPS ratings of 13 or so if not more.  This might
just be an underpowered laptop, I guess...
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Zack.