[Simh] VAX/simH under windows- term type?

Tim Pinkawa timpinkawa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:07:08 EDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Mark Suhovecky <suhovecky at nd.edu> wrote:

> Well, I'm pretty new to this, so hopefully this isn't too silly a question.
>
> I'm running simH on Windows XP. I've loaded OpenVMS 7.3, and got
> it installed and licensed. My problem is this: when I attempt to use the VMS
> editor, my simH window does not support  vt100 terminal emulation, and I
> can't
> navigate around in a file to configure anything.  I set  the terminal
> type in VMS
> via a set term/vt100 .If there's someone on the list who's solved this,
> maybe
> by using a different term type or launching simH  from something other
> that an XP
> command prompt window?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

This came up last week, so I'm re-posting my reply.

--
One option is to enable the telnet console. That way you can connect
to the console with a regular terminal emulator (like PuTTY) instead

Just add
SET CONSOLE TELNET=1234
to your configuration file. You can change 1234 to whatever port you
want to use, then connect to the host machine's IP address/DNS host
name at that port with a terminal emulator and everything should work.
--

Now since you're using VMS, another option is to use the VMS TCP/IP
stack (licensed product UCX, available on hobbyist CD) and telnet

Hope this helps,
Tim