[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 46, Issue 20

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Sep 22 18:16:02 EDT 2007

    ************************************

> How hard would it be to get 3230 emulation in...?
>
> Gee, I'd kill to see Xelos up on a 3230 again...
>
> It was my first real sysadmin job after I left DEC Field Service...
>
> Probably impossible to get a copy legally or illegally, unfortunately.
> It's like Pyramid OS/x, another of my old fun favorites,  -- probably
> unobtainium.
>

> Bill
> --
>   d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN.  Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
> pechter-at-gmail.com <http://pechter-at-gmail.com>

All in good time. There are quite a few differences between the 8/32 and
the 3200 series. The 3220 is much like a 3230 with 8/32 MAC memory
relocation/protection hardware. Doing the 3220 first lets me (almost)
ignore memory management hardware and concentrate on CPU feature
differences. It is a useful way to split the job. Once I finish the 3220
(stalled at the moment, alas) I'll start working on the MAT used with
the 3230/3210/3212, 3240/3250/3260 and 3205/3203 processors.

For various personal and practical reasons I don't intend to do a VAT
(3280 and newer) implementation at this time. Concurrent still sells and
supports OS/32 and 3200 systems. I know or have met some of the people
involved. Not emulating the VAT prevents the current version of OS/32
from running on SIMH. The VAT is a complicated and lightly documented
bit of kit to emulate. The same can be said for the MAT, but the MAT is
needed to address more than 1MB of memory and to run some software. I
rather suspect that having done the MAT I'll be ready to do something
else for a while.

Because Xelos is SVR2, the Unix part of Xelos is not covered by the
"Ancient Unix license". The Perkin-Elmer part, of course, belongs to
Concurrent. Licensing is an issue. Perhaps when the SCO distraction is
over this can be resolved.

The Edition VII available from bitsavers appears to be the original
version from Wollongong University. It would be nice to have the
Perkin-Elmer commercial release version. It has some additional nice
stuff in it. That also has content that belongs to Concurrent.