[Simh] Terminal Type for Windows CMD ?

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Wed Sep 19 12:15:36 EDT 2007

Rod Landers wrote:
> Apologies if this has been asked before....
>
> I have simh setup in Windows XP to run in a CMD window. I have
> installed OpenVMS and
> all seems to work. However  when I go to edit (Using Edit or EDT) a
> file, the Windows
> command window doesn't seem to be able to process VT100 or VT220
> terminal escape
> sequences properly. I've set the terminal type in VMS properly (I
> think, Set/term=vt100), but
> I suspect that command window doesn't know what to do with the
> terminal escape sequences that are sent to it (like when one edits a
> file).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions ?
Anything supplied by Microsoft seems to have really
lousy VT100 compatibility. The console barely works,
but don't expect to use it as anything other than a
dumb terminal. You will need to enable some serial
port emulation, or use a telnet/ssh port with a better
terminal emulator.

Hyperterm almost, but not really, works: Numerous
escape sequences work wrong, or are completely
missing. The delete key sends a backspace (iirc: you
can type control/shift/backspace to get two delete
characters sent), etc. I'd recommend avoiding it.

Your best bet under windows is something like Kermit95,
cygwin xterm, putty, or something similar. Note that
some of these actually cost money. Depending on
which one you choose, you will find a different subset of
what works, so experiment with the various programs to
see which one works best for you.

Under Linux, I use xterm, and it works quite well.
Gnome terminal/KDE terminal have some issues,
but are mostly usable.

On the rare times that I use Windows, I usually use
Kermit95, which works quite well.