[Simh] hand held vax?

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 07:11:19 EDT 2007

Well almost.

I got one of those snazzy iPhones after I heard that you can hack your way
around it.. So I built a toolchain (
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Toolchain_Project ) compiled my
"Hello World" and I thought I'd give simh a stab.  The good news is that it
compiles!

The bad news is that I'm suspecting that simh isn't cross compiler
friendly?  It's a wild stab.

This is what I get running simh on the phone:

bash-3.2# ./vax780 1.ini

VAX780 simulator V3.7-2
boot not found
boot failed
CHMx on interrupt stack, PC: 0007162C (HALT)
sim> quit
Goodbye

I'm using the 780, and attempting to boot the miniroot of BSD 4.2 .  For the
record it boots without issue on my Vista laptop...  It's now 7am so it's
time to get *some* sleep, but I was wondering if the endian dependancies are
picked up at compile or runtime? grepping didnt seem to do much, but then my
eyes are killing me.  I'm almost thinking that crosscompiling this form a
PowerPC may be easier in that it'll generate same word exe's...

The idea of a hand held vax would be too good to turn up though....

Oh and this is the contents of 1.ini

bash-3.2# cat 1.ini
set rq0 ra81
at rq0 miniroot
set rq1 dis
set rq2 dis
set rq3 dis
set rp dis
set lpt dis
set rl dis
set tq dis
set tu dis
att ts 42-1.tap
set tti 7b
set tto 7b
load -o boot42 0
d r10 9
d r11 0
run 2

When I wake up I'll have to give CP/M a shot.